A Halloween Without Candy?
Halloween is such a magical time of year, with cooler temperatures in some areas, pumpkins, costumes and of course, trick or treating.
There are so many parties and events starting with this holiday and going through the end of the year, that it can seem overwhelming with the amount of candy and treats. Halloween is a holiday that is marketed towards selling candy, but what it is really about? Fun!
Instead of filling your candy bucket with loads of sugary sweets, why not try something new and actually not giving candy at all? Candy can make kids hyper and it actually lowers immune responses. This sets us up to be less resistant to all of the illnesses going around. These are just two great reasons to switch to non-candy alternatives this Halloween.
There are even more things to consider…
Why A No Candy Halloween is Important
- Too much sugar – Even a little sugar within the body sets off a huge cascade of negative effects from moods (think aggression, bouncing off the walls, mood swings, etc.), to poor sleep (which makes the whole next day a miserable one), to craving more and more sweets.
- Food allergies – Food allergies are more prevalent today than ever so a lot of attention has been given to non-candy alternatives. There is even an initiative called “The Teal Pumpkin Project”, which focuses on houses having a teal pumpkin placed outside to let families with food allergy prone kids know there are safe alternatives treats for them.
- Dye Sensitivities – Most candy contains food based dyes and are hard to avoid.
So, this Halloween, no kid will miss out on the fun if they don’t get tons and tons of candy. Really! Resist the junk. Just take the Halloween NO CANDY Pledge.
The Halloween No Candy Pledge
Don’t worry… we have some great ideas for Halloween candy alternatives!
Halloween Candy Alternatives
- Glow sticks, bracelets and necklaces
- Temporary tattoos
- Mini boxes of crayons
- Toothbrushes and travel sized toothpaste
- Punch balloons
- Halloween or emoji hand stamps
- Halloween bubbles
- Halloween themed soaps
RESTART® instructor Winnette Fleenor has a great idea for a candy alternative. She is making pumpkin and Frankenstein soaps from food based dyes and organic essential oils. You can see them on her Facebook Page.