Nourishing RESTART® Friendly Thanksgiving Salad and Side Dishes
Thanksgiving, or any holiday, is always a wonderful way to celebrate with family and friends. And food seems to be an integral part of any gathering. Eating mindfully and with healthy lifestyle changes can sometimes be a challenge. We at RESTART® love the idea of the RESTART® rule.
“WHATEVER I EAT, I CHOOSE IT CONSCIOUSLY, I ENJOY IT THOROUGHLY, AND THEN I LET IT GO.”
If you are looking for tasty sides and salads made with real food and seasonal ingredients, check out the recipes below shared by RESTART® instructor, Heather Fischer-Page of Healthy Decadence. She created a RESTART® friendly salad and side dishes that are full of delicious flavor and seasonal vegetables. They will certainly be a crowd favorite.
We hope you’ll try and enjoy these for yourself!
*All recipes from the kitchen of Healthy Decadence*
Roasted Fennel and Beet Salad with Green Apple and Mustard Vinaigrette
3 beets, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
1 fennel bulb, trimmed and sliced thinly
2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 green apple, thinly sliced
1/2 cup pecan halves or pieces
6 cups arugula and spring greens, mixed
1/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp yellow mustard
Pinch mineral salt
- Lightly roast pecans at 325 degrees for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Then preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Toss fennel, then beets in melted coconut oil. Pour onto parchment lined sheet pan and lightly salt with mineral salt.
- Roast for 20 minutes until firm but tender. Let cool a few minutes.
- Prepare Mustard Vinaigrette.
- Arrange a bed of greens on a serving platter and layer roasted fennel, beets, freshly sliced apple and pecans. Serve with vinaigrette.
Roasted Parsnip and Cauliflower Mash
3 parsnips, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch coins
1/2 head cauliflower, cut into small pieces
3 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp butter/ghee
1/2-3/4 cup hemp milk (or any unsweetened nut milk)
1 Tbsp fresh rosemary
1 Tbsp fresh thyme
1/2 Tbsp fresh marjoram
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Toss parsnips and cauliflower in olive oil and sprinkle with mineral salt.
- Pour onto parchment lined sheet pan.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes or until soft.
- Remove from oven and place in medium bowl with herbs, butter and milk of choice.
- Mash with potato masher or mixer. Add more milk for desired consistency. Salt and pepper to taste.
Sautéed Green Beans with Bacon and Crispy Shallots:
About a pound of Green Beans
4 pieces bacon, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
4 shallots sliced into 1/8” slices
Himalayan or real salt
- Cook bacon on medium and when finished, strain bacon and set aside.
- Add shallots and sauté until golden brown. Transfer shallots to paper towel and set aside.
- Add green beans to remaining bacon fat and sauté until tender crisp, stirring often.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium low and cook until desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Salt and pepper to taste and garnish with shallots and bacon.
- Serve immediately.