RESTART® Friendly Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
It seems like winter may never end here in the northern hemisphere! The snow days are piling up (just like the snow) and the search for warming seasonal dishes is a priority. This recipe comes straight from the RESTART® cookbook and is quick and easy to make anytime of the week.
The RESTART® Program is all about nutrient-dense, satisfying and delicious foods that nourish and fuel your body.
This hearty and nutritious comfort food is packed with great flavors and a touch of brightness from the acidic lemon. Brussels Sprouts, leeks and lemons are full of Vitamin C, making them a perfect food for this time of year. The bacon adds a smoky flavor and great fat (pastured, of course) that rounds out this delicious side dish.
Brussels Sprouts with Bacon is a great complement to any pastured protein such as turkey, chicken, fish, lamb or beef. Just add some creamy cauliflower purée and you have a wonderfully nutrient dense meal for a cold, winter night.
Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
Makes 2 servings
2 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
½ cup sliced leeks
3-4 slices bacon, chopped
Salt to taste
Splash of lemon juice
1. Cook chopped bacon in skillet until evenly cooked. Remove bacon from pan.
2. Cook leeks in hot bacon drippings for 3 minutes.
3. Stir in brussels sprouts and cook for 10 more minutes, stirring often.
4. When vegetables are tender, remove from heat.
5. Add salt to taste and a squeeze of fresh lemon.
6. Sprinkle the bacon pieces on top.
Be sure to pin this recipe for later!
Find this and many more recipes in The RESTART® Cookbook available on Amazon.