RESTART® Friendly Toasted Coconut Butter Recipe
When starting a new program like RESTART®, you may experience sugar cravings as you replace processed foods with real food. It’s nice to have something on hand to help with that feeling. With this recipe, the good fats help with energy regulation, and the natural sweetness satisfies the palette. Coconut butter is wonderful with green apples, or even some almonds, and makes a great dip.
Raw coconut butter is tasty, but toasting the coconut kicks it up a notch!
You can buy coconut butter in the store for convenience, but check the ingredients and make sure it has no sweeteners. It’s around $10 for a larger jar. But why not give a try at making your own? The recipe below is so simple – and inexpensive to make! The cost was around $1.50 for 2 cups of Organic (yes, organic) Shredded Coconut, and you probably have the other ingredients at home. All in all, to make your own costs about half of what a jar sold in stores costs, and you have the satisfaction of knowing exactly what’s in it and that you made it yourself. And, BONUS: keeping unsweetened shredded coconut around is such a versatile ingredient on the RESTART® program!
All you need is a jar, some unsweetened coconut, mineral salt and cinnamon. Try this out in your blender, but keep an eye on it and work it in short pulses as it can heat up the blender as it turns to coconut butter. This recipe makes about a half a cup, so you might want to double the recipe. It won’t last long as it is really yummy!
Try this RESTART® friendly yumminess on green apples or with some blueberries. Enjoy!
Toasted Coconut Butter
Yields just over 1/2 cup (double if you want more)
- 2 c. organic unsweetened shredded coconut (can use coconut flakes)
- 1/2 t. cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 t. mineral salt
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Toss coconut in cinnamon and salt.
3. Place on sheet pan and toast in oven for 2-5 minutes, depending on if you used flakes or shredded. Stir every minute or two until lightly golden brown.
4. Remove from oven and let cool (I usually take it off the pan so it doesn’t cook more).
5. When cooled, place in blender and mix for 15-30 seconds at a time. Clean sides and push down with spatula. It took about 4 rounds until it started to release the oil and smooth out. If blender gets warm, let the mixture cool a bit before blending again.
6. Test for consistency and enjoy!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later…