Self Care for Your Body and Mind – Three great ways to take care of yourself everyday
“Take care of your mind; your body will thank you.
Take care of your body; your mind will thank you.”
~ Debbie Hampton
‘Self care’ is certainly a buzz word right now. It is something that we need to do, but whether we are parents, caretakers, good friends or colleagues, sometimes taking care of ourselves can take a back burner when we are helping or taking care of others. Over time, this can diminish our energy and happiness, and maybe even our health.
Self care doesn’t have to look like what the ads on television or social media portray. It can – and should – be simple.
We’ve put together a list of three simple things that can be easily incorporated into your everyday life. And don’t feel like you have to do them all at once. Just add one a week, or one a day. This is about what YOU need to help you feel your best.
Three Simple Steps for Your Body and Mind
We’ve broken it up into simple tips, so experiment with whichever ones speak to you. And for those perfectionists out there, please remember, give yourself a break if you miss a day. This is not about perfection; it’s all about self care.
1) Hydration – This one probably seems pretty simple. Drink water. But do we always drink enough each day? Hydration can give you more energy and a clearer mind. Here are some great ideas to get started.
- Drinking water at half our body weight in ounces. A past RESTART® blog talks about the importance of this. https://therestartprogram.com/hydration-an-essential-part-of-your-daily-routine/
- Consume an 8-ounce glass of water with a squeeze of lemon first thing in the morning before anything else. This not only hydrates you, it gets your digestion going.
- Plain water not your favorite? Try some of the infused water recipes from a recent RESTART® blog: https://therestartprogram.com/restart-friendly-infused-water-recipes/
2) Just Eat Real Food – Does this sound simple or overwhelming? It can be simple if you stick to the basics. Eating unprocessed foods, for example can energize you, make you feel lighter in both body and mind. Here are some quick ideas and swaps. Plus a couple of links to recent blog posts with recipe inspiration.
- Quality proteins – whenever possible, shop and consume organic poultry, pastured eggs, grass-fed meats and wild caught fish and seafood. https://therestartprogram.com/restart-friendly-one-pan-meal-ideas/
- Healthy fats – look for high quality, extra virgin and cold-pressed oils such as olive and coconut oil. Avocados and nuts are also a great source of healthy fats.
- Carbohydrates – Building a plate with colorful vegetables not only looks beautiful, but provides an array of nutrients to round out your meal. https://therestartprogram.com/enjoying-the-bounty-of-the-season/
3) Take time for rest, some mindfulness and movement.
- REST is so important to our body and mind. Even a short nap can give you a little burst of energy to help you be more productive throughout the day.
- MINDFULNESS is key, but a lot of people don’t know where to start. Writing down or thinking about three things that you are grateful for each morning can give you a boost and put a smile on your face first thing.
- MOVEMENT doesn’t have to be running a marathon. Putting on your favorite song and dancing like no one’s watching you will lift your spirits and bring back those moments of child like fun. And maybe even a few giggles.
Bonus tip: Scrub off the day.
Many people love taking baths as a form of self care. If you don’t enjoy them or just want a quick fix, try our salt scrub recipe with citrus. It’s quick and easy to make and great in the shower, leaving you feeling uplifted and with silky skin.
Citrus Sea Salt Body Scrub
- 1/2 cup fine sea salt
- 1/4 virgin cold pressed coconut oil (room temperature – but if cool out, you can warm a bit to make it mix easier)
- 10-20 drops total favorite citrus essential oil such as grapefruit, lemon and/or lime, depending on preference
Mix salt and coconut oil together. Add essential oils, stir and put in an airtight container. Enjoy!
Whatever you decide to incorporate, remember your intention to take care of yourself is the key.